Saturday, August 8, 2009

Hiking


It seems fitting to follow up my treadmill post with one on hiking. When we go walking in our neighborhood, or on our neighborhood trail, the Turkey Branch Trail and Matthew Henson Trail, we mostly say we are going for a walk. If we head out to Rock Creek Park or Seneca Creek Park around Clopper Lake, we mostly call it a hike. I don't think the difference between a walk and hike is the distance, it's the environment. When we are on pavement, it's a walk; a dirt path is a hike. If we are mostly surrounded by woods, we would probably call it a hike. Either way, yesterday we went to Rock Creek Park and I was reminded of the pleasures of being in the woods that I just can't get on a treadmill in my basement. The beautiful scenery, the smells of woods, the sounds... we love it. Then there is the companionship and just generally feeling better about everything after a good hike. I know I will definitely never spot an owl while on the treadmill in my basement. I can't be sure, but I think we were looking at a Barred Owl. How exciting!
(Above is a picture of part of Rock Creek Park)

No comments:

Post a Comment