Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An Apple a Day...




It's been a while since I have posted. We were away in Canada for the weekend and that meant getting a lot of school work done last week... no time for blogging.

Going to Canada meant a total of 18 hours in the car (there and back) and car snacks were in order. I decided, while enjoying a juicy Gala on the way home, that it was time to devote a post to apples.

My diet, or food goals, has been going fairly well in some aspects. I have not had candy for the longest time and that is huge. But, I have indulged in cheesy pretzels, wine, potato chips, Fudgeos (yay for Canadian cookies!) and other foods that one has to eat while on vacation.

Whether on vacation or at home, one food that I have been eating regularly, that I am happy about, is apples. I can't get enough of them since I gave up the Mike and Ikes.

My favorite used to be Cortland apples. When I was in second grade, we lived on an apple orchard that had 48 apple trees, Cortlands and MacIntosh. But the tartness of Cortlands make my teeth sensitive, so now I prefer Fuji or, recently, Gala apples. Pink Ladies are a bit too tart, as are Green apples. Red Delicious aren't tart or firm enough. MacIntosh are too pithy. And what an easy food to eat. I like to slice it up and there it is. Simple.

I looked at a few sites that listed the nutritional benefits of apples. The first site, Nutrition Data, was short and sweet. Apples are a good source of fiber and Vitamin C, but are high in sugars. Of course, they are not fattening. I found a few other sites that listed other benefits of eating apples. All About Apples says that apples contain the richest source of Pectin which is supposed to be good for us for a number of reasons, including acting as an antioxidant, possibly reducing the need for insulin, reducing chances of colon cancer, preventing gallstones, etc. Certainly all significant benefits but I don't know how reliable the information is or if it means eating 10 apples a day.

I know I am enjoying my one apple a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment